How to get the most fluffy, spongy and tasty chocolate cake?
I would like to thank a Spanish chef named Jordi Cruz for his detailed IG video explaining the process with important tips such as how to melt butter, chocolate, mix ingredients and more.
Ingredients for a 12 piece chocolate cake:
- 6 eggs
- 1 packet of baking powder
- 110 g flour
- 150 g butter cut in small dices
- 175 g of chocolate with at least 70% of cacao
- 200 g sugar
- Glazing sugar (to decorate)
- Yogurt, ice cream or fruit (to serve)
- Remove butter from fridge two hours before being used to obtain a soft consistency. Jordi Cruz explains in Spanish the need to obtain a “pomada”, Spanish word for soft, texture to be easily manipulated.
- Preheat oven to 150ºC.
- Insert 6 eggs in your mixing robot or hand mix during 5-10 minutes. Always crack an egg in a place that will not be the same bowl as the one you will mix because the salmonella bacteria can be in the shell of the egg.
- Place sugar on top of your eggs and mix for 5 minutes.
- Mix baking powder with flour to obtain the “spongy” consistency or as Jordi Cruz explains in Spanish, “quiero oftener un bizcocho aéreo”.
- Place a boiling pan with water and place the chocolate in cubes in a crystallised bowl and place it on top of the boiling water. This in Spanish is named as “Baño agua Maria”. Start mixing and one it’s completely dissolved, remove the bowl from the heat and place the butter so that it’s melted with the heat of the chocolate.
- Grab a pyrex and grease the pyrex with butter and with a glove grease the entire edges. Grab a strainer and drop a small layer of flour in the pyrex.
- Place the chocolate and butter mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Start adding the flour slowly and mix. Add a bit more and mix until you finally add it all.
- Get walnuts, cut them and add them. Mix.
- You can also add chocolate chips. Mix.
- Place in oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve with jam, yogurt, fruits or ice cream.